Thursday, August 9, 2012

New Menu and Other Musings

Friday 8/10 is the beginning of a new menu. I've added 7 new items as well as brought back summer favorites. It takes us about five days to get the new menu in place- between prep and computer work. Its a process, but we have it down to a science as long as I don't make too many last minute changes. This cycle it was three minor ones, two of which was only an elaborated description for the menu. The last was a change in a cheese which means a scramble to change the prep only slightly.

Business has begun to pick back up again- between the national news scaring people about NM's biggest fire ever by Silver City- when it was the next county over- and the normal drop of spending the summer before a presidential election and the temporary loss of local business as 3 new places opened or were under new ownership and everyone had to check them out. The recession is far from over in Silver City. Historically they linger much longer in small towns and at 11,000 pop. we ARE small, though not tiny. We are also 45 minutes to an hour of of Interstate 10 which makes us a distinctive destination. Personally I'm very tired of it and being broke due to lack of business. We are surviving, but at 58 I no longer want to be just getting by- I'd like to be making it and this depression/recession is keeping that from happening. Next week I will share my plans here on how we are going to try to change that. It's very big news and I know we can make it happen. So until then- be well and dine well.

No comments: