Saturday, August 6, 2011

Random Thoughts

1) S&P Downgrade is a joke- if they really knew what was really going on in the world why did they rate all that sub-prime crap as worth investing in? And then they base part of their argument on faulty numbers. It was because they don't like the present politics in Washington- I've got news for them, only ignorant idiots and those living under rocks think the congress and president have the cajones to do the right thing for the country. The Republicans will fight tax hikes for the uber-wealthy with their last breath and Democrats will sell out unions, Keynesian economic principles and their progressive base at a moments notice. The Dems will compromise away- as the Speaker of the House puts it- 98% of the store while Republicans cry, "Foul" and get away with it. And Obama will be cheerleader in chief as it all goes down.

2) Next recipe will be my Carrot Cake as I just promised on Twitter. The week after that I'll publish my Tunisian BBQ Sauce recipe; which uses Harissa as one of the ingredients.

3) Of the restaurants I say I recommend in my post about Competition, the following restaurants I have not eaten in but recommend due to the reviews by people I trust: Tre Rosa and 1zero6- though I ate at Jake's restaurant when it was Spaghetti Western several years back (he's never open on my day off so I haven't been able to try the new concept).

4) I told a couple of folks I know (that are not in the restaurant business) when our local Farmer's Market's Farm to Chef Challenge came up as a subject that I was once again going to have George, my sous chef, enter and that, without naming names, one of the local chefs was so competitive that he has lost perspective in my opinion. That was all I needed to say for them to know exactly who I was talking about. They said this was too small a town for the reputation he is getting. I was shocked that there was a reputation about this person's near mania to be Numero Uno. But then I'm either at work or at home and nearly never socialize at all. Guess I should get out more. They then told me that they like the chef but think this is going to bite him in the end. I'm too busy enjoying what I do to care about such crap, unless that person's mania affects me. Thus far, except for his jumping to conclusions about what I might or might not have done, it has not been an issue. Funny that I still recommend his restaurant to folks, but then I don't see him as a threat to my status- to be that I'd have to care about it in the first place. Chefs- well this chef- just wants to have fun. After all, it all turns to shit in 24 hours no matter what I do!

5) I'm off to bed now- Cooking Class tomorrow so an early morning. Goodnight Mrs. Kalabash wherever you are. (God, I'm old.)

No comments: