Monday, August 8, 2011

A Tucson Sunday in Silver City

It seemed like nearly every table we had tonight was from Tucson. It was mostly a fun night, except the first table would have been happier at a pizzeria. (I don't understand why people don't get that they can't just ask for random changes in my recipes and expect to have the waitstaff just say, "Of course we'll do that." Their saying, "I need to ask the chef if that will be alright," is considered an insult by some. There is no realization that I have taken years perfecting the recipes I use and I am unwilling to have people just randomly tell me how it should be made before they have even tasted it. Its insulting. If that is an issue go to where you can, 'Have It Your Way.' I'm sure they will make you happier. And no, the changes requested were not medical/health related.)

We were busy and the Tucsonians were fun and enjoyed their experience. When a teenager who was obviously raised to try good food tells you that your restaurant was his best dining experience it gives one joy. After all, that is what we are striving for. Lots of folks had compliments to bestow. One couple even said several people they knew in Tucson had recommended us and that the friends were right about how good it was. They also said that some of their other friends would be surprised to find out how good the dining is in all of Silver. It speaks well for how far along restaurants have come in the 11 years I've been here. I want this town to achieve as good a reputation for the food as it has for the Art Scene and the Wilderness areas. Nights like this just reinforces that what I do has some significance. (Though I never forget that no matter how good it is it still turns to shit within 24 hours.) I'm glad I never became a doctor. This is SO much more fun, and if not as financially rewarding, so much more desirable a life. I hope you all feel the same about what you do.

Now, if one couple has their way I'll be on Tucson radio in the near future talking about food and the restaurant business. If it comes about, it will be great- except for the show is on at an ungodly early hour. Oh well, my Transylvanian genes will just have to deal with waking at dawn, versus going to sleep around then, for a change. (My great-grandfather and several of my other relatives were actually born in Transylvania. I always assumed that's why I'm a night person.) Coffee and more coffee will help.

(P.S.: Since the changes to the dish they ordered was ethnically correct and wouldn't have substantively  changed it I added the 2 desired ingredients. My waitstaff is taught to say, "I can subtract an item from a dish, especially for health & dietary reasons, but I'm NOT allowed to add to a dish without the chef's permission." I personally think this is a reasonable position to take.)

No comments: